namecache stage-2 patch for testing

Hiten Pandya hmp at backplane.com
Wed Sep 24 20:36:15 PDT 2003

Matthew Dillon wrote:

    This is the stage-2 namecache patch.  It should work pretty much the
    same as the namecache works now except I have reorgranized the namecache
    structure's topology the way it will need to be to move forward.
	Cool!  Thanks!

>	[ ... ]
    distinct directory tree in the system.  It will be possible to
    implement the concept of VFS 'environments' that I have been positing
    for the last few months simply by writing a VFS that does nothing more
    then resolve namecache issues, allowing actual operation within the
    'environment' to occur without any significant interaction with the
    environment once things are cached in the namecache.  *VERY* important.
	By the way, what kind of performance improvements are we looking
	at with this new code (including stage-3) in place?
+int	textvp_fullpath (struct proc *p, char **retbuf, char **retfreebuf);
	Also, just a little snooping around, I think the
	textvp_fullpath() function can made a little generic so it is
	applicable to other cases.  I have a patch lurking around for
	this somewhere, I will e-mail it to you by Friday.
	I haven't gone through the whole patch in detail, as I am
	feeling kinda sleepy. ;-)
	Regards,

--
Hiten Pandya