namecache status, slab allocator status

Hiten Pandya hmp at backplane.com
Wed Sep 24 08:21:20 PDT 2003

David Leimbach wrote:
Matt or others,
regarding below.  Do you or anyone else know where I can find
documentation on what makes a slab allocator different from others?
I don't want to bother you with questions about it as I know you are
fully capable of giving very nice, detailed answers complete with
ASCII diagrams :).
	Sure, read Bonwick's papers, here are some links:

	[1] - Bonwick94,
	      http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/bonwick94slab.html
	      This paper talks about the design of the Slab Allocator
	      etc.
	[2] - Bonwick2001,
	      http://www.usenix.org/event/usenix01/bonwick.html
	      This is a like a followup paper to the above which
	      talks about extending the Slab Allocator with PCPU
	      goodies and the success story of the Slab Allocator.
	If you want to see a complete implementation of Bonwick's
	slab allocator, I suggest you checkout the Linux Kernel's
        linux/mm/slab.c file.
	Hope that helps...

	Regards,

--