Prebinding for DragonFly/FreeBSD-4

David Rhodus drhodus at catpa.com
Wed Sep 17 11:03:17 PDT 2003

On Wednesday, September 17, 2003, at 01:33 PM, Matthew Dillon wrote:
   I am going to attempt to install KDE on one of my test boxes.  If
we can
   show a user-visible improvement in startup times then that is good
   enough for me.  The code looks fairly safe to me (with the
additional
   trust checks I posted earlier).

   I suspect that Linux has higher general shared library overheads
then we
   do, making prebinding more of a benefit to them.
I haven't had any free time to look at the Prebinding code yet. I take
it that
it won't be the default option or at minimal an easy way to opt out of
using
it ? From the FreeBSD impalemention I think some of what it is doing,
is potentially
untouched area's for hijacking. I'll try to mark some time off tomorrow
so I can look
a little further.

-DR