sysinstall v2

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Wed Sep 3 16:09:24 PDT 2003

:rsync + cfengine?
:ppp -direct so you can use a regular browser over the serial port?
:
:[RC]
:                      "Simon 'corecode' Schubert"
:...
:
:how about rsync?
:it's such a usefull tool, i wished several it was part of the base...
:(tho it's additional features won't be needed for the install)
:
:cheers
:  simon

	rsync, definitely.  cfengine, probably not.  ppp is already part
	of the base system.

	Another thing comes to mind in regards the installation options...
	simply having DHCP+sshd running can be very useful.  The new
	installer (lets not call it sysinstall v2, please! I hate sysinstall).
	Er.  The new installer ought to have a single-press option to get
	an IP with DHCP and run sshd, and it should generate a random root
	password and present both the random root password and the IP address
	on the console/web-page/whatever.  The same password could be used
	for web-enabled installation.  I am not overly concerned with security
	at installation time but I don't want the machine to be left wide open
	when you select any of the network options either.

	I can imagine that the first thing most sysops will want to do is get
	off their butts and back into their nice comfortable office chair.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>