new sysinstall

Steve O'Hara-Smith steve at sohara.org
Wed Sep 3 01:32:40 PDT 2003

On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 11:51:48 +0200
"Ivan Voras" <ivoras at xxxxxx> wrote:

IV> Matthew Dillon wrote:
IV>
IV> >     This is a winner in my book.  All we need is a bit of dynamic
IV> >     content to deal with the 'progress indicator' and we are set.
IV>
IV>
IV> Hmm, that could be a problem - at the moment I can't out any way to make
IV> a usable progress indicator in a web environment.

	It can be done with so called server push methods using a
Content-type of multipart/x-mixed-replace, there's a description of
the technique at http://wp.netscape.com/assist/net-sites/pushpull.html.

	There's a 67 line C program to play a sequence of GIF images by
server push at http://wp.netscape.com/assist/net-sites/mozilla/doit.c. It's
a pretty simple technique that I think has been largely forgotten among
animated gifs, shockwave and fancy JavaScript.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith <s.ohara at xxxxxxxxxxx>