new sysinstall

Bill Huey (hui) billh at gnuppy.monkey.org
Mon Sep 1 14:36:01 PDT 2003

On Mon, Sep 01, 2003 at 09:23:15AM -0700, Matthew Dillon wrote:
>     If RedHat has been using Python to good effect for system utilities and
>     sysop supporting scripting then that is a good recommendation for
>     Python, and from other messages posted to this list I no longer worry
>     so much about version mismatches between base and package-installed
>     Python revs.  All of our own scripts would explicitly path to a versioned
>     python (e.g. #!/usr/local/bin/python2.2 or something similar)

Python is very good and has very good support.

>     In fact, so many people seem more familiar with Python then Ruby that I
>     think we should discard Ruby from our list of possibilities and move
>     Python up a notch.

Ruby is a great system, even more regular than Python, but the
library support is somewhat sparce. Also portupgrade is written
in Ruby.

It's really a toss up, as it concerns programming methodology
between the two for me, so the determining factor should be
the specific issues involved in implementing this. It might be
that a specific kind of library support would tip one over the
other. I suggest keeping it in the arsenal of possibilities,
but with a preference for Python.

bill