packaging system

Craig Dooley cd5697 at albany.edu
Fri Oct 31 13:01:32 PST 2003

I like the idea of standardizing everything, but I think theres two separate
battles to be fought.  Theres the idea of package building and binary
distribution if you ask me.  Ports currently does both, and I dont think the
option to build from source should be taken away from the user, but a 486
router does not want to build apache, even if they want to run it.  Making
the port maintainers life easy should definitely be a top priority goal, but
so should making the users life easier.  How many people want to spend the
time compiling openoffice?  Thats about the biggest thing I can think, and
granted, small ports take almost no more time to build than download in
binary form, but for upgrades its much more convenient to have binaries if
you ask me.  I think we should look at this as two separate problems.  One is
creating packages, and the other is distribution/installation/configuration/
upgrades.

-Craig

--
Craig Dooley											cd5697 at xxxxxxxxxx
pgp00010.pgp