interface renaming

Brooks Davis brooks at one-eyed-alien.net
Fri Oct 31 12:26:48 PST 2003

On Fri, Oct 31, 2003 at 09:19:02PM +0100, Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai wrote:
> -On [20031031 21:12], Brooks Davis (brooks at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> >In FreeBSD I'll probably implement an tunable to make that possiable,
> >but it definatly won't be the default.
>
> Glad to hear that.
>
> I mean, from a certain perspective I can understand that you don't know
> to know whether or not a particular interface is an Intel card or a 3Com
> card and both should just be named ethN, for example.  But it always
> made sense in my mind, at least, to differentiate on the interface name
> level between the different vendors to know which card you are messing
> with.

I agree.  When I was talking to Warner Losh at BSDCon we pretty much
agreed that when you don't want to care which brand of interface is in a
slot, devd was going to be the answer.  You'd tell devd to run a script
on any ethernet card on bus X in slot Y to name it what ever you wanted.
The rest of your configuration could forget that it was a Foo Corp.
10/100T card and just call it "uplink" or what ever.

-- Brooks

pgp00009.pgp