interface renaming

Brooks Davis brooks at one-eyed-alien.net
Fri Oct 31 11:33:32 PST 2003

On Fri, Oct 31, 2003 at 02:17:25PM -0500, Richard Coleman wrote:
> There was a big commit to FreeBSD-current to do interface renaming to
> bring it in line with other *BSD.  Below is the commit message.  Is this
> change of interest for DFBSD?  If so, I could start work on it.

Note that this commit doesn't actually do interface renaming.  It just
paves the way by a) breaking the use of if_name and if_unit as both the
interface name and driver name/unit and b) insuring the interface name
is stored in storage we can modify rather then driver dependent, usually
static storage.

It also ends the tyranny of <drivername><unitnumber> naming which didn't
make sense in many cases.  For instance, some interface types like stf
can only have one interface to calling it stf0 instead of stf or 6to4
is stupid.  Another evil example is how the ef(4) driver uses the unit
number to store the Ethernet frame type of the interface.

I defiantly recommend taking this route, but I'm a little biased. :-)

-- Brooks
pgp00006.pgp