Xml in packaging system

James Frazer jfrazer at ieee.org
Thu Oct 30 21:56:58 PST 2003

I have to agree with David on this.

XML in the packaging system is kind of over-kill, in my opinion.

I'm sure the OpenDarwin developers at one point considered XML for
DarwinPorts but decided that it didn't provide any advantages (correct
me if I'm wrong).  In the end they settled with TCL key-value pairs
because they were simple and easy to read/write (and dports was written
in TCL anyway).

Not to say XML doesn't have useful applications, I just think it would
make things slightly more complicated than they need be.

I personally think the design of DarwinPorts is going to turn out pretty
good.  Unfortunately I do not yet have a spare machine that I can
install DFBSD and dports on to test/tinker with.  Nobody seemed overly
enthusiastic about dports when I mentioned it before so maybe it will
just turn into one of those things I'll never get around to --
eventually I'll get to it -- I hope.

--James