DragonFly and FBSD 5.1

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Sat Oct 25 22:06:08 PDT 2003

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003, Hiten Pandya wrote:

> > The question now is whether I could have it coexisting with FreeBSD 5.1. I
> > have not used FreeBSD recently so these are the only ISOs I have. Does
> > DragonFly have support for UFS2, or would I have to explicitly tell FreeBSD
> > to create UFS1 partitions? Should I not bother and just download
> > the -miniinst and -disc2 ISOs?
>
> 	DragonFly does not have support for UFS2, yet.  Some of us are
> 	working on it, but it is a tough cookie to handle.  Anyways,
> 	you would need to tell FreeBSD to explicitly create UFS1
> 	partitions to make it coexist with DragonFly.
>
> 	Hope this helps,

There are also some potential issues relating to the fact that even UFS1
in 5.x is different from UFS1 in 4.x  For example, you will likely want to
disable background file system checking in 5.x to avoid creating snapshots
on disk that 4.x will not be able to handle safely.

robert at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx      Network Associates Laboratories