Fast User Space Mutexes (aka Futexes)

Bill Huey (hui) billh at gnuppy.monkey.org
Tue Oct 21 16:52:12 PDT 2003

On Tue, Oct 21, 2003 at 04:05:04PM +0100, Hiten Pandya wrote:
> Hi Gang,
>
> Sinces the day when Matt was interviewed by the SlashNET people, a
> couple of questions arised as to the implementation of Futexes for the
> new libcr which is going to be written.
>
> I am sending this mail as an opening to this discussion.  Hopefully,
> some of the Linux seniors scanning this lists (Rik et al) will provide
> some comments and suggestions on this topic.
>
> IMHO, from the way Futexes work, it would be great to have an
> implementation of it for DragonFly.  For those of you wondering what
> Futexes are exactly, please refer to [1], as thats the most complete
> documented information I could find, apart from the Ottawa proceedings
> (Rusty Russell).
>
> [1] - http://www.catfive.org/cgi-bin/man2web?program=futex&section=4

http://people.redhat.com/drepper/futex.pdf

Better documentation on how it's used and some implementation issues with
glibc. The problem with futex's in the context of dfBSD is that it's
used for their 1:1 threading model, which is different than the M:N
stuff that's being done recently. I think it's essential to think about
the application of this mechanism and how it will fit into the grand
scheme of things and/or its specific use before throwing it in randomly.

bill