some messaging questions

Andreas Fuchs asf at boinkor.net
Tue Oct 14 01:21:26 PDT 2003

Hi all,

I'm wondering if I my understanding of messages is correct right now
(and I missed the slashnet irc interview date - hmpf), so here goes:

Is there going to be a way to use messages similar to the way signals
(especially the posix realtime ones) are used? The design docs at
dfbsd.org speak of asynchronous handling of signals, so I wonder if
this means that the receiving process needs not wait for the message
and can have a kind of message handler receive the it.

In particular, I'm looking for a way to tell a running (child)
process/thread that the time for garbage collection has arrived. Perhaps
DFBSD's message semantics could help with that.

Thanks,
--
Andreas Fuchs, <asf at xxxxxxx>, asf at xxxxxxxxx, antifuchs