Am I way off base here?

Skip Ford skip.ford at verizon.net
Tue Nov 25 14:24:24 PST 2003

Matthew Dillon wrote:
>     Is there something fundamentally difficult about implementing
>     things like getpwnam() through an IPC mechanism + maintainng a local
>     cache that I am missing?  Because I am really getting angry at the
>     FreeBSD-5 folk acting so goddamn high and mighty about their NSS DLL
>     requiring a dynamic root crap.

The issue seems to be that NSS must be supported immediately and
there's no current implementation your IPC NSS mechanism.

>     Sorry, just venting.  But, damn it, it's annoying.  What the hell do they
>     think they are accomplishing other then obfuscating the system even more
>     then it already is?  I mean, we've had the concept of NIS for a long time.
>     It's obvious that IPC is the only way to go for this stuff even though
>     NIS never implemented it right.  What am I missing here?

The answer is to implement it properly, then share the code.  I'm
losing faith in both sides at this point.

The behaviour of the FreeBSD folks is par for the course.
Whenever someone proposes an idea that conflicts with the path
they've already taken, they pout.  The better the idea and the
more foolish it makes their chosen path look, the higher they
raise their bottom lip.  And now there's apparently a
new rule, whenever someone mentions DragonFly they cover their
ears and scream loudly to make sure they can't hear it.

But still, the answer is sharing better code implementing the
better idea.  And if you're still angry at that point, you've
earned the right to say "I told you so."

--
Skip