SCO after BSD settlement

Gary Thorpe gathorpe79 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 21 19:01:07 PST 2003

David Leimbach wrote:

I like what you are saying and what a lot of the Open Source authorities
say about this
but, quite frankly, AFAIK YANAL [you are not a lawyer].  OJ Simpson got
off... Microsoft
never gets anything but a wrist slap for their behavior so I wouldn't
rest so assuredly that
this is open and shut.

There are plenty of rich people who got off entirely or for long periods
of time (Michael Skakel?). OJ's case had no evidence linking him to the
crime that had not been tampered with (remember Mark Furman - the police
officer who took the fifth when asked if he tampered with evidence?). If
he (OJ) did do it, then the LAPD blew it long before the prosecution got
up to bat. I guess they should go back to beating prisoners/detainees or
other displays of excessive force. Open and shut, yes sir.

Hopefully, public opinion will be based on facts and not emotion or
_gut_ feelings (or financial motivations?) in future cases. I can just
remember the Microsoft zealots bawling bloody murder when Microsoft got
their wrist slaps....why not lets just shut up and see what happens?