loader/kernel and snd_cmi (again ?)

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Thu Nov 20 14:16:35 PST 2003

:I think this is the same problem I mentioned a few days ago under the
:Headsup-FreeBSD5-bootcode thread.  I didn't actually notice my sound
:card wasn't being detected until earlier today (shortly after figuring
:out my installworld wasn't working because I had that sneaky broken
:shell script kernel :)
:--James

    I believe I have just fixed it, but it's hard to tell.  Basically the
    problem with snd_cmi is that the kernel was not detecting the fact that
    the preloaded module existed because it was looking for 'snd_cmi.ko'
    instead of '/modules/snd_cmi.ko'.

    The solution is to strip the path elements when doing compares.

    I also found that most of the ethernet drivers as well as some others
    did not properly declare the module name, making it impossible for the
    kernel to determine whether a module dependancy or preloaded module
    already existed in a static kernel or not.  I believe I have fixed
    those as well.

    I hope.