interface renaming

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Sun Nov 16 11:04:54 PST 2003

:I was about to create a new thread, but then I found this one...
:
:"Richard Coleman" <richardcoleman at xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> in
:news:3fa2b53d$0$80976$415eb37d at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
:> There was a big commit to FreeBSD-current to do interface renaming to
:> bring it in line with other *BSD.  Below is the commit message.  Is this
:> change of interest for DFBSD?  If so, I could start work on it.
:>
:> Richard Coleman
:> richardcoleman at xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
:
:<snipp>
:
:>    Log:
:>    Replace the if_name and if_unit members of struct ifnet with new
:members
:>    if_xname, if_dname, and if_dunit. if_xname is the name of the interface
:>    and if_dname/unit are the driver name and instance.
:>
:>    This change paves the way for interface renaming and enhanced pseudo
:>    device creation and configuration symantics.
:>
:>    Approved By:    re (in principle)
:>    Reviewed By:    njl, imp
:>    Tested On:      i386, amd64, sparc64
:>    Obtained From:  NetBSD (if_xname)
:
:I read the rest of the thread and understand that you don't want to rename
:your interfaces. However, you have to note that Net-, Open- and FreeBSD now
:have an if_xname member in thier ifnet structure and use it. So if you stay
:with if_unit and if_name you will have to do ugly conversions whenever you
:sync stuff from them. So my vote goes _for_ importing that change to DF.
:
:Note that it won't change any look and feel. i.e. No ethX if you don't want
:them. But it makes porting things much easier.
:
:Max Laier
:max at xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

     I think if_xname is just fine.  If someone wants to do that work please
     feel free!

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>