Non-gcc compilers

Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai asmodai at wxs.nl
Thu Nov 13 13:04:51 PST 2003

-On [20031113 21:52], Bosko Milekic (bmilekic at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
>  Do you know how far the other TenDRA (Ten15) guys have gotten in this
>  respect?

I don't know how far they have gotten.

>  I remember the guys working on the code mentionned problems
>  in dealing with inlined asm code, clearly non-portable.  Would it be
>  possible to build a portion of the MI kernel code with tcc and link it
>  to pre-built (with another compiler) portion of MD code?

In essence it should be possible, however, it also depends heavily on
the compiler in question.

How well do they adhere to the binary format specification, e.g. ELF, do
they both stick to the same function symbol convention, and so on.

If they do then the linker should be able to just draw them all up into
the executable you are expecting.  Of course, I still wonder what the
effects might be if you start to include optimizations, not sure if
certain compilers offload some of them half-way to the linker.  Could
make for some exciting coredumps and crashes. :)

PGP fingerprint: 2D92 980E 45FE 2C28 9DB7  9D88 97E6 839B 2EAC 625B
http://www.tendra.org/   | http://www.in-nomine.org/~asmodai/diary/
Want ik kan niet leven zonder alles of niets...