packaging system (was: Re: GCC 3.3.2 kernel)

Lewis, Todd todd.lewis at gs.com
Mon Nov 3 07:01:51 PST 2003

"This has zero advantage, except for embedded work (and people doing
embedded work are able to do rm -rf /usr/include in their final
distribution)."

If you think that hand-removing files managed by the package manager is a
kosher way of dealing with this problem, then you totally don't understand
where we're coming from.  It's a completely different mindset: the package
manager should manage all system files.  The question is, how do you build a
packaging system that lets you reach that goal.

I made the userspace a.out -> elf transition on a debian box by firing up
dselect and pressing the "enter" key 7 times.  What would have happened if I
had installed a monolithic library package and then manually deleted include
files?  They'd be put right back in.  You want a package manager that you
can work with, not that you ignore or circumvent.

Or, at least, that's what I want, and with Debian I have it.