Xml in packaging system

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Sat Nov 1 11:43:38 PST 2003

:I know it might be a cardinal sin to ask this [out of ignorance], but
:nevertheless I am curious.
:
:I'm interested to know what your opinion on a database-type fs is?  I am
:not read up on the whole VFS idea, but a lot of the ideas you mention
:sound like they could be accomplished with a database-fs using simple
:masking.  However, I have a feeling that VFS is at more of a parent
:level than the fs implimentation itself.  I'm not making any bold
:suggestions (as your ideas sound great), I'd just like to know your
:opinion :-)
:
:--James

    I think it's a huge mistake.  I like the idea of giving a filesystem
    a transactional capability, but trying to build a filesystem *OUT* of
    a database is a huge mistake.  Databases have a lot of overhead, even
    when the query is optimize, and even though this overhead is primarily
    cpu overhead (not I/O overhead), it will still be ten times the cpu
    overhead that a normal filesystem would have.