interface renaming

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Sat Nov 1 10:47:48 PST 2003

    I think for DragonFly we should leave the naming as it is.  For all intents
    and purposes ethernet interfaces are 'hidden' and 'abstracted' from the
    user be virtue of the route table already, we don't need to abstract them
    further by naming them all the same!  That is, users use IP addresses,
    not interface names.  Only sysops use interface names and, personally
    speaking, I have never once in my entire life gotten confused.

    Our RC system already abstracts interfaces fairly well.  We could abstract
    it even more and simply have an RC variable for the 'primary' (unnamed)
    interface which is used for the first non-localhost interface if a
    specifically-named interface has not been specified.  It would be like
    a 2 line adjustment.

    I don't mind giving ifconfig the ability to 'name' an interface for the
    purposes of IPFW, IPFILTER, and systat and friends, but I would like
    to keep the 'base interface name' intact as it currently stands and I
    certainly do not think it's worth making any significant kernel mods
    (other then adding a settable string field for the net-if).  It sounds
    like a 95% userland solution.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>