K42 OS

Bill Huey (hui) billh at gnuppy.monkey.org
Fri Nov 21 16:14:56 PST 2003

On Thu, Nov 20, 2003 at 07:50:57PM -0500, Michal Ostrowski wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-11-20 at 19:31, Matthew Dillon wrote:
> >     I am not trying to create a procedural abstraction, but I do intend to use
> >     messaging to initiate syscalls so in a sense that is a procedural
> >     abstraction of a kind since it causes things like read() to be moved into
> >     libc and actually build, dispatch, and wait for the syscall message
> >     rather then make a directly 'read' system call.
. ..
> Underneath all of this, I think there are interesting issues arising
> from interactions between thread management and IPC.

Like what ? priority messaging issues ? just curious.

> With regard to the second issue you've touched upon, we implement UNIX
> API's as you've described.  Our approach to this has been to move as
> much functionality into the application as possible.  Thus things such
> as file-cursor management can be handled within the application under
> certain circumstances, and poll()/select() are implemented completely
> within the application.   Such an approach allows us to potentially
> supply specialized implementations of services on a resource by resource
> basis.

Is this a Linux emulator ? Something that might be kind of interesting
is the possiblity of borrowing code from each project for implementing
a Linux emulator. How complete are your Posix threading semantics ? just
curious again about corner cases. :) Those things have been a classic
killer in Solaris and other M:N threading systems.

Thanks

bill