AFS and Dragonfly?

Garance A Drosihn drosih at rpi.edu
Mon Nov 17 11:40:16 PST 2003

At 9:02 AM -0500 11/17/03, David Rhodus wrote:
Interesting, though this is one topic I'm more open to
talk about the number of actual users. Everywhere I've
setup AFS we've always run into some kind of license
issue.
I suspect you were dealing with Transarc AFS (from IBM).

OpenAFS is an open-source project, at www.openafs.org.

There is also the ARLA project, which is another
implementation of AFS that should be freely available.
Setting up AFS fileservers will require more of a learning
curve than setting up NFS, but if you have a large group
of {users,client-machines,fileservers} then it's much less
work to keep running than NFS would be.  And it has some
very nice features wrt file-permissions (IMO), and the
handling of per-user quotas.
It is not the best choice for all applications, but we
have used it for many years at RPI, and are happy with it.
(We originally started with the commercial Transarc AFS,
but now we are almost completely converted to OpenAFS).
--
Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad at xxxxxxxxxxx