AMD64 box

David Leimbach leimy2k at mac.com
Fri Nov 7 05:29:14 PST 2003

On Nov 7, 2003, at 3:44 AM, James Bilotto wrote:

On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 02:01:46PM -0800, Matthew Dillon wrote:
    The alpha and Itanium non-withstanding, the AMD64 is the first
'consumer'
    64 bit machine in mass production.  I am already impressed!
if the alpha and itanium are 'consumer' processors then you mite as
well put the
mips, sparc64, and power4's in their too. and i think you are
forgeting the
ppc 970 ( G5 ), which shiped in 'mass' befor the AMD64.

Actually the Opteron beat the G5 by a long shot.  I think you are
thinking Atlhlon64.

The G5 Mac's are actually obtainable for about 2300 bucks dual CPU
systems when
you apply Apple's generous hardware discounts for ADC members. [500
dollar membership
for all the OSes and early releases of software + 600 dollars off a
dual G5 is win-win for me :)]

I have had mine for about a month now and its been great :).  The OS
doesn't do anything 64bit
in the C sense so its not really a huge step in any direction but
overall system speed.  A 64bit
OS would be wonderful but I am not holding my breath just yet.

Dave