any interest in importing pf?

Munish Chopra chopra at soulwax.net
Fri Nov 7 00:14:31 PST 2003

On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 08:10:27 +0000, Hiten Pandya wrote:

> Munish Chopra wrote:
>> No, as done in FreeBSD, pf can be brought in without ALTQ. ALTQ happens to
>> tie in very well and the pf/ALTQ combo is very powerful, so it'd be nice
>> to see them together -- I know several of us are awaiting that :) The
>> major problem with ALTQ for FreeBSD is the fact that an import is very
>> intrusive and touches many many things, so it's rather hard to do while a
>> lot of other work is going on.
>
> 	I did update the ALTQ patchset to work for 5-CURRENT, but due to
> 	the lack of interest, it also faded away in the background. Most
> 	of the changes ALTQ patchset makes are not necessary and can be
> 	considered cosmetic.  Except for the ones made to the NIC code.

The latest ones I've seen are Max's and the ones from nipsi.de. They're
both considered too intrusive according to Max, but he expects to produce
a new one after 5.2-RELEASE when the network stuff has settled down. He
wasn't sure whether anyone wanted to import pf into FreeBSD before 5.2-R.

I spoke to Jeroen a few days ago and he seemed to have a bit of interest
in pf. He mentioned he'd look at it, but I suspect he has quite a bit on
his plate as it is.

--
Munish Chopra