packaging system (was: Re: GCC 3.3.2 kernel)

William Dean DeVries look_in_message at nowhere.com
Sat Nov 1 23:31:33 PST 2003

    You know, you could put the needed headers in your source directory, and
if the compiler still can't find them I bet you could tell it wheretolook.
Just a thought.
    As for splitting packages into 2 or even better 3 parts.
The port system is redesigned it could be made to have flags
which would tell it to install the other parts of packages by
default.  Thus making everyone happy.
    In regards to having three plist in a packages, having three packages is
better.  To see why, suppose that you install a package with only the
binaries and later you go back to add the rest.  Maybe you could tell it
no binaries this time, but should it then remove the installed ones?
Again just a thought.
    Also it would be better if the freebsd package system could be then
used on dragonfly.  If the new system had provisions to allow patches for
multiple system in the ports, it might be possible to use the same ports
for both system, and others too.  I am a ex-debian freebsd user, and will
stay freebsd.  I like my system stable.  This project is interesting
thou, but I know little about kernels.

    I am currently reading this thread and making a wish list of feature
for a new package management system.  I will probably post it later.  I
also plan to look at the features of dpkg discussed here.  I hate the
system used in freebsd, but like the idea behind it.

--Will
william_devries -AT- wsu.edu
(I hate spam and don't want to risk it)

--
God made the integers; all else is the work of Man.
		-- Kronecker