iPaq IA-1 issues...

Joshua Coombs jcoombs at gwi.net
Tue Nov 25 20:34:44 PST 2003

So far I've two issues holding up DragonFly from working on my iPaq
IA-1 internet appliance, and both stem from the older usb driver set
in use at the moment.

The first is the umass driver.  It's basically not viable for
swapping to as is.  I was able to pull over 4.9-Rel's umass driver
(had to bring in an updated cam header as well) but am still having
the same issues.  Heavy use, particularly swap will tick it off,
resulting in error 5 swap pageout errors.  Under 4.9 the driver is
rock solid.  4.7 used to display this behavior, I never really tried
much with 4.8, so not sure when this was fixed.

The second is the aue driver.  For whatever reason it refuses to
pass packets with my Linksys USB100TX.  Pulling in the 4.9 driver
doesn't change the behavior, and I've not observed this with FreeBSD
before.

I thought I'd be able to hand update the sub drivers to 4.9's but it
appears I may need to delve a bit deeper and perhaps pull the base
usb support over as well.  Is there interest in sync'ing USB up with
FreeBSD 4.9, or should I pick a different target, current, or a
NetBSD branch to update to?  (Or should I leave it alone and use a
real comp? : ) )

Joshua Coombs

(Note, VMWare seems quite happy with DFly so far.)