Call for Developers! Userland threading

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Tue Jul 22 23:10:11 PDT 2003

:So it sounds like theres going to have to be some user backing code to
:register a sort of handler.  Preemption is needed to allow signals to catch
:at all if you were caught in a tight loop (unless kernel takes over like
:KILL).  Should it be as complex as having the kernel creating a userland
:trapframe when its doing an "upcall" so the handler can decide what to do,
:and if it's not important, return to the interrupted thread?  Otherwise the
:kernel could probably have different paths for sending critical vs.
:non-critical messages to a process? It seems the first is going to have to be
:the approach for per process signals also.  I dont fully know the POSIX spec,
:but from my limited knowledge, it seems this would work.
:- --
:- -Craig

    It's actually less complex for the kernel to just do an unconditional
    upcall and let the userland program figure out what to do with it.