packaging system

Shawn Debnath sdebnath at purdue.edu
Fri Jul 18 21:15:47 PDT 2003

Couple ideas (perhaps already mentioned):

1) Need to put dependency info inside binary packages.
2) Instead of rewriting the packaging system, why dont we just
use debian's apt-get utility (of course, modified for our use), and then
convert the ports tree to our version, and start nightly builds? A lot
of admins would prefer this way, and plus, apt-get has proven
quite successful.

Shawn

Quoting Mark Wolfe <wolfem at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Gday all,
>
> Just a couple of questions.
>
> Has anyone got any ideas on what you are envisioning for the packaging
> system of dragonfly. I have used FreeBSDs ports, debians dpkg and Osx's
> fink for a bit and I am interested in software distribution and update
> systems. I would be happy to begin looking into a helping with a higher
> level design or even just happy to help compile peoples ideas for web
> content.
>
> Also what are your thoughts of NSS switch.. are you planning to
> integrate this feature into dragonfly? I am a stalwart supporter of the
> move to ldap as the core of an os's AAA model.
>
> Lastly have you thought about doing some research into some of the
> technologies used in darwin to possibly add even more to you new
> distribution. This is just a general fish for ideas from people in this
> group and is not directed at any particular part of darwin.
>
> BTW good to see there still people out there who are brave enough to
> break away from the establishment, roll up there sleeves and break some
> stuff in the name of learning and innovation.
>
> Regards,
>
> Mark Wolfe
> Hammond Street Developments
> Web : http://www.hsd.com.au
>
> "I am not young enough to know everything."
> - Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

- Shawn