just curious

Kip Macy kmacy at fsmware.com
Thu Jul 17 15:22:22 PDT 2003

One thing that might be harder: I was looking to reduce the effect of
the boundary crossing by taking a series of independent system calls and
queuing them up and tossing them over the boundary together. That way
you would be able to, for example, queue writes to multiple files,
devices, or sockets in a single system call.

But now that I think of it you could implement a Send() function that
did the same thing.

I think implementing support for multiple requests is much easier than
exporting it under a normal API. NFS has a similar sort of problem with
latency, which NFSv4 tries to address with compound. However, there
isn't really any support on clients for say stat file x - if it has
changed read bytes i - j and then write z to byte k.

           -Kip