"options USER_LDT" and mplayer

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Fri Dec 19 15:48:56 PST 2003

:I dont understand why this isnt the default either.  The kernel doesn't use the LDT at all, and all the option does is add code to save the state on context switches from what I saw.  We only support 386+, so it's not a matter of CPUs without LDTs.
:
:The reason mplayer choked when playing a .mov is because it has to use win32 codecs using wine.  Win32 needs to use the LDT, and is also needed for wine (same reason).
:
:-Craig

    Well, it's historical.  USER_LDT was not traditionally needed but
    FreeBSD-5 is using it in its thread support and we are/will be using
    it in ours as well, and we are seeing more ports use it, so it would
    be great if someone would submit a patch to remove the option (i.e. make
    the code permanent).