LibC status and others...

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Fri Dec 12 16:02:00 PST 2003

:sorry, seems, i cutted too much of my mail ;)
:what i really meant was:
:
:this daemon would startup on boot.
:as root you (or your libc) can startup any other process (even in
:single-user).
:
:so, you can always start this daemon, whenever you need <pwd.h>.
:
:sorry for any confusion again.
:~ibotty

    Initially we are just going to fall-back onto the existing libc
    password file mechanism if the IPC service is not available.

    Eventually we will rely on the IPC service entirely for normal
    system operation and fall-back onto the flatfiles when the IPC service
    is not available (i.e. get rid of the DBM stuff).

    I agree that as root we could also fork/exec a local copy of the IPC
    service in order to satisfy such requests when the normal IPC service
    has been killed (e.g. due to going into single-user).  Retaining
    robustness might require some careful programming, though.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>