LibC status and others...

ibotty bsd at ibotty.net
Fri Dec 12 14:57:50 PST 2003

> I was just curious what the status of libc and NSS like functions such
> as getpwnam_r and other thread safe POSIX goodies is in DragonFly at
> the moment.

speeking of this, matt, how far is your ipc mechanism.

as i reworked getpwent.c quite a bit, i found, that writing this
out-of-process, with a persistent buffer, is way easier.

besides being easier, access control is very much easier.
even /etc/passwd could be 0400 (or 0440, owned by root with group of the
daemon).

so, what is missing?
i started implementing pwd.h inside of a daemon.
one thing missing is the process/thread <--> daemon bridge.

btw: i dont think we would need fullblown <pwd.h> support in single user
mode.
a simple EAGAIN for the case, where the service is not available should be
enough.

~ibotty