configuration files

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Thu Dec 11 13:32:00 PST 2003

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 11:27:57 -0600, James Frazer wrote:

> Just a hypothetical question I've been pondering lately:
>
> I'm just wondering what the future holds for configuration files found
> in /etc (or wherever for that matter) ?  Are we ever going to see a
> shift towards an XML based config-system?  Or is the general consensus
> that 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' ?

Ummmm... Well, I only will support this idea if DragonFly don't plan to
touch neither ee, vi or any editor to configure anything but using
web-based or some GUI apps for configuration files.

Change to XML based config-system and edit them by the editor is just a
silly idea to me. :-)

For the best example, I think the m0n0wall project just did it right to
use the XML based config-system because it's doing by the web-based config
mostly. Another example is Gnome uses XML.

Cheers,
Mezz

--
bsdforums.org 's moderator, mezz.