Some thoughts

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Thu Dec 11 10:33:57 PST 2003

:On safe strings: Have you considered using a good safe string library,
:such as stralloc?

    There are standard safe-string functions in libc already, e.g.
    asprintf() and snprintf().  The problem is with legacy code and,
    generally speaking, fixing legacy code means making as few radical
    changes as possible.

:Where can I find information about the new RC system? Personally I use
:http://smarden.org/runit/, and it is head and shoulders
:above the traditional inits. The scripts are much easier to write, plus
:you get service supervision and reliable service shutdown (no stupid pid
:files) to boot. It's just a much better design than the traditional RC
:stuff.

    There's no book published on it, but you might be able to search
    the FreeBSD list archives for 'rcng', or just play with it.  It's
    a fairly straight forward dependancy/scripting system.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>