libcaps thread testing code committed

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Wed Dec 10 12:16:39 PST 2003

:The problem is there are two ways to update the config files in /etc.
:For files like master.passwd a copy is edited and then renamed
:atomically. That is fine for automatic rebuilding. Others like
:/etc/hosts don't have such functionality and rebuilding them as soon
:as they change feels wrong.
:
:What I thought about is using internally DBM or the even simpler CDB
:files and rebuild them either when the source changes or the user
:requests an update. This can happen in a separate daemon. As soon
:as the IPC server detects a change in its database directory, it
:reopens the DB files and starts using the new versions. One side
:effect is that this allows the IPC server to run fully chrooted
:when using just DB files or network services as backends.
:
:Joerg

    I don't think DBM or CDB matters... those are file formats.  With
    an IPC server we don't need to generates database files at all,
    the server just loads the flatfile into ram and indexes it in ram.

    (That is, those IPC services which are backed by flatfiles.  Obviously
    IPC services can be backed by other things, like LDAP).

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>