Vmware was Re: Announcing shell machine availability for dragonfly developers

Steve Mynott steve at tightrope.demon.co.uk
Fri Aug 29 01:51:23 PDT 2003

Rik van Riel wrote:

It sure would be nice if dfbsd ran under some kind of virtual
machine.  I guess vmware would work, qemu would be awesome.
I have been building and running (as my mail relay) DFBSD under Vmware
-- hosted much to my shame on Win XP sorry guys :) -- with no problems
at all and at excellent speed on a P4/1.8.

It's nice being able to snapshot the entire system state before you do
something likely to break it!

Vmware is an excellent product, although expensive.  I haven't tried
Bochs but I imagine that would also work (although at a far lower speed)
and it's OSS.

-- Steve