Preliminary restructuring layout (was Re: sys/ tree re-structuring proposal)

Hiten Pandya hmp at nxad.com
Thu Aug 7 03:47:25 PDT 2003

On Thu, Aug 07, 2003 at 10:39:30AM +0200, Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai wrote:
> You can spare yourself some work by removing the kerberosIV dirs I
> emailed you. ;)
>
> Also, do we have FreeBSD's docs (english only) as well on crater's repo?
> I want to make sure we have the documentation synched with what we do.
> ;)

	On that note, let us not import the Developer's Handbook because
	it is a total waste of time.  Our Kernel documentation should be
	split up into three books/parts

		1) Kernel Reference
		I.e. all the internal functions of the kernel described,
		like the Linux memory management book. (linuxmm.org I
		think)  This book will also say which locking domain (if
		any) is affected on the particular functions.

		2) Kernel Guide
		This book will have information about *how* to use the
		various stuff in the kernel, like making system calls,
		kernel filters, kernel locking.

		3) Kernel MIB Guide
		A reference of *all* the sysctls we have; be it minor or
		major, it doesn't matter.

	The DragonFly User Guide should be based on the Handbook, but we
	will rip out things and put them back together.

	Secondly, it will be radical to have the following documentation
	tree:

		doc/

		  |- Books/
		  |- Articles/