sys/ tree re-structuring proposal

Shawn drevil at warpcore.org
Tue Aug 5 18:00:10 PDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-08-05 at 18:26, Munish Chopra wrote:
> While I like subversion quite a bit to begin with, I'm honestly not sure
> (even after my weekly perusal of issues) whether it's mature enough for
> something of this scale.

Well, I can tell you that the business I work for hosts all of our
commercial codebases using subversion. I can also tell you that the
GtkRadiant (the Quake* engine editor) development repository was just
switched to subversion as well. The GtkRadiant repository is almost a
gigabyte I think? Can't remember for sure, but it's freaking huge.

I admit that subversion doesn't have the same level of maturity that CVS
does, but the business I work for has been using since, well, sometime
last year I think?

> I do however believe that your proposal to put a svn tree online for
> people to test-drive is a cool idea, who knows what we'll find. Shortly
> ago there were still issues with the cvs2svn script though - have those
> been resolved?

Most of the issues that I know of that kept the GtkRadiant repository
from being converted have been fixed.

The biggest benefit I've personally had from using subversion is the
ability to easily move and rename files without losing revision history.
Plus it handles binary files *way* better than CVS ever did.

There are also several gui tools available for subversion now too.

Just my 2 pence,
--
Shawn <drevil at xxxxxxxxxxxx>
http://drevil.warpcore.org/