__signed usage in ansi.h

Bosko Milekic bmilekic at technokratis.com
Sun Aug 10 14:31:13 PDT 2003

On Sun, Aug 10, 2003 at 02:07:23PM -0700, Matthew Dillon wrote:
. ..
>     What we can't do is replace things like '__inline' with 'inline'.  We
>     need to keep __inline intact in order to maintain compatibility with
>     compilers that do not support inlining (where one can #define __inline
>     to nothing and the code then becomes static-like).  It is simply too
>     dangerous to force those environments to define 'inline' to nothing,
>     which is why __inline exists.

  Note that even if you do support such compilers you're probably in
  trouble as some inlines are defined in header files which, if they are
  not kept as inlines, will lead to needless re-definition and possibly
  some re-definition fatal to the compile.

--
Bosko Milekic  *  bmilekic at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  *  bmilekic at xxxxxxxxxxx
TECHNOkRATIS Consulting Services  *  http://www.technokratis.com/