sys/ tree re-structuring proposal

Chip Norkus wd at arpa.com
Tue Aug 5 15:44:34 PDT 2003

On Tuesday 05 August 2003 05:28 pm, Matthew Dillon wrote:
> ::    All right, but I am going to have to turn off commit privs for a
> :: few hours so I can dup the repo, make the modifications in the copy,
> :: test the copy, and then sync it back.  There is going to be some
> :: work involved rewiring the Makefiles.
> ::
> ::    Say, this afternoon from 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m., possibly a
> :: little longer.
> :
> :    Scrap the time range.  I'm going to do this a little later in the
> : day. Maybe in the 3-5 pm time range.
>
>     Heh heh.  Ok, major underestimation of the work involved.  This is
> going to take a few days to do right.  Not only do 90+ directories have
> to be moved, but it doesn't make sense to do all the work without also
> getting rid of all the conditional compilation that allows things to be
> compiled either as modules or directly into the kernel.

Have you considered giving subversion a test-run?  It works pretty much
just like cvs from a command line interface, but actually lets you do
versioned moves and that sort of thing.  If you're interested I can
convert the current cvs tree to an svn tree and put it online for people
to try out.

> 					-Matt
> 					Matthew Dillon
> 					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

-wd
--
chip norkus; renaissance hacker;                wd at xxxxxxxx
"question = (to) ? be : !be;" --Shakespeare     http://telekinesis.org/