Buffer overflow?

Rik van Riel riel at imladris.surriel.com
Sun Aug 3 20:20:05 PDT 2003

On Sat, 2 Aug 2003, walt wrote:

> As previously stated, I know little about system security, but what
> I do know is this:  it's too damn complicated!

Personally I don't think the OS should compromise on the
security infrastructure in order to make things easier
to configure.

I guess the most reasonable solution would be to have the
popular daemons installed in a secure setup by default;
ie. named, apache, the MTA and other important daemons
would come pre-packaged to run in a restricted environment.

That way the security people can tweak everything until
it's right, without having to compromise on security, while
the system administrators get something safe.

cheers,

Rik