HEADS UP restructuring cvs surgery will happen at 2:00p.m. PDT, updates will be available at 3:00p.m.

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Thu Aug 7 12:31:02 PDT 2003

    I'm going to do the CVS surgery starting at around 2:00p.m.  cvsup and
    committing will be disabled from 2:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. or so.
    As of this email the time is 12:30 p.m. PDT.

    These instructions will apply after 3:00 p.m. PDT

CVS UPDATE:

    I will be leaving the original directories intact but empty in the
    CVS tree which should theoretically cause cvs updates to remove the
    'old' source files and most of the 'old' directories if you use
    -P, e.g. your ~/.cvsrc file should contain something like:

	cvs -q -g
	diff -u
	update -Pd
	checkout -P

    If you do not use -P you are going to wind up with a lot of junk.
    After you finish updating your tree be sure to do a second 'cvs update'
    and examine the '?' entries to remove any original source file that
    doesn't belong there.

COMPILING KERNELS:

    In addition, after all this goes in, you will have to upgrade your
    'config' program (/usr/src/usr.sbin/config), and you will have to
    COMPLETELY WIPE and rebuild any compile/ directories.

    make clean is NOT SUFFICIENT!  The generated header files in compile/XXX/
    have been renamed and the originals will conflict with similar header
    files in the source due to my removal of -I- from the makefiles in order
    to make locality of reference work again for #include "...".

    In a week or two I will delete the original (empty) directories.
    Consider this 'stage 1', meaning that we will be doing more cleanups over
    time.  e.g. renaming dev/disk to dev/mass and similar things.

    The target time for being able to update your trees is 3:00 p.m.

SOME INCLUDE FILES HAVE MOVED

    Some esoteric include file subdirectories have moved.  I recommend
    regenerating them afer updating to ensure that any cruft is removed:

	rm -rf /usr/include
	cd /usr/src/include
	make install