New-Folks-Page

Matthias Schmidt matthias at dragonflybsd.org
Thu Sep 30 00:43:34 PDT 2010

Hi,

* Chris Turner wrote:

> Seeing as we have been subject to the most annoying
> repetative flamewars about "why doesn't the system do X",
> followed by various combinations of:
>
> 1) we don't want X
> 2) you're stupid
> 3) we dont have enough time to do X
> 4) don't call people stupid, stupid
> 5) etc
>
> on the interval of about 1x a week.
>
> contemplating:
>
> 1) setting up some kind of page / FAQ for these questions
> 2) suggesting all ppl refer to FAQ for these questions
> 3) Anyone who doesn't refer to FAQ and engages in 1-5 above,
>    gets YELLED AT on the list.
>
> Thoughts? Do we already have one? hmm.

Not one, three.

http://www.dragonflybsd.org/docs/handbook/handbook-x-install/
http://www.dragonflybsd.org/docs/newhandbook/X/
http://www.dragonflybsd.org/docs/developer/manually_build_x_and_beyond/

I see the need for good documentation, but I doubt that somebody will
take care of another FAQ/newbie guide.  We already have a lot of
documentation which is in rather good shape (new handbook) or in bad
shape (old handbook and most pages under documentation/).

Nobody really takes care about that stuff and to be honest I can
understand why :/  If I just look at the FAQ page
http://www.dragonflybsd.org/docs/faq/FAQ-English/ ... puhh ... there is
some room for improvement.

IMO we need some real users (no need to be a committer/developer) who
take care about our website and documentation.  FreeBSD has a
documentation team for this (I know, some ppl don't like this or think,
we don't need such a team).

My 2c && cheers

	Matthias