xfce updates borked desktop

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 02:21:25 PST 2021

On Tue, Feb 23, 2021 at 8:33 AM Antonio Huete Jiménez
<tuxillo at quantumachine.net> wrote:

> Hi Antonio,
>
> Have you used the bulletproof method to upgrade your installation? If
> not, probably some older package not replaced by the upgrade process
> might be giving trouble.
> It's also mentioned here:
> https://www.dragonflydigest.com/2021/02/19/25460.html#comments-heading
>
> Regards,
> Antonio Huete
>
> Quoting Antonio Olivares <olivares14031 at gmail.com>:
>
> > Dear dflybsd users,
> >
> > recent updates to xfce have removed some items from the desktop.
> > Application menu has been removed.  I try to add it back and I get
> >
> > ``Plugin "Applications Menu" unexpectedly left the panel, do you want
> > to restart it?
> >
> > The plugin restarted more than once in the last 60 seconds. If you
> > press Execute the panel will try to restart the plugin otherwise it
> > will be permanently removed from the panel.  ''
> >
> > I click on Execute and it does not come back.
> > I click on terminal and it gives me that it cannot launch Failed to
> > execute command "exo-open --launch TerminalEmulator"
> >
> > I wonder if reinitializing xfce like remove ~/.config/xfce directory
> > or something will get it back to normal?
> >
> > Any advice/suggestions?
> >
> > Best Regards,
> >

> > Antonio

Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for your help.  I was able to get my desktop back using:

cougar# pkg delete `pkg info | grep 'xfce'`
cougar# pkg install xfce

I had not gotten any error messages.  But thanks for your advice I got
desktop back.

Best Regards,

Antonio