hammer2: ls reports "No such file or directory"

Matthew Dillon dillon at backplane.com
Mon Oct 12 15:26:16 PDT 2020

Theoretically as long as the RAID system properly handles the FLUSH
command, it should be ok to run it with a volatile write cache.  But if it
just accepts the FLUSH command without flushing the write cache, then bad
things can happen.

That error is a CRC failure.  Sorry, I wasn't clear before.  CHECK FAIL is
typically a CRC failure.  The CRCs don't match.  In terms of what you can
do... usually its best to backup and reformat.  In this case it looks like
a single inode #49686 is messed up.  You can try destroying that inode with
'hammer2 -s <fsroot> destroy-inum 49686', then re-run the bulkfree and see
if there are any more issues.

Generally speaking, if the CHECK FAIL is at an inode you can 'hammer2
destroy-inode ...' the inode and then 'hammer2 destroy ...' any directory
entries that were pointing to that inode, but if it is at an indirect block
then the filesystem is probably really messed up and the only real choice
is to backup, reformat, and restore.

Those hammer2 directives are extremely dangerous, I recommend making a full
backup before messing around any further.