docker on dragonfly

Patrick McDonough ~patrick/dfly at awk.is
Wed Nov 4 05:08:06 PST 2020

I could be awfully wrong, so a more authoritative answer would be welcome. But Docker's daemon (the service that runs containers) is to my knowledge quite specific to Linux, and more recently Windows.

The common route to docker 'support' outside of those two platforms was (is?) to run a virtualised Linux host that then ran the docker service, with containers executed inside that virtual machine. This is how Docker for MacOS works right now.

It seems like the docker-machine package will do this for you, but I haven't tested it myself.

Perhaps more interesting than useful; there was an effort in FreeBSD to provide a more native docker solution using a mix of jails, ZFS and their Linux compatibility layer. But I can't say how well it worked, or if it is still supported. But you may want to ask them.

Patrick