Installer crash on VirtualBox

Aaron LI aly at aaronly.me
Wed Mar 4 06:45:57 PST 2020

On March 4, 2020 10:15:50 PM GMT+08:00, Lassi Kortela <lassi at lassi.io> wrote:
>I get a kernel page fault with the DragonFly installer on VirtualBox.
>
>MD5 (dfly-x86_64-5.8.0_REL.iso) = 4c14c4e7395c6b85f95f7dc86ad9455a
>
>Installation steps:
>
>Default choice in the boot loader
>Login as "installer"
>Install DragonFly BSD
>Legacy BIOS
>Disk ad0
>Use Entire Disk
>Use UFS

You're using the IDE disk controller, which is ancient and is known buggy on DragonFly BSD... So change to SATA, NVMe or virtio, and they should just work.

By the way, UFS is only recommended for /boot, and I think it's better to use HAMMER2 for root even for a relatively small partition in a VM. Just keep in mind to not fill it full ;)

Cheers,

--
Aaron