What is the name of the pkg-config package?

Jeffrey Walton noloader at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 11:27:34 PDT 2020

Hi Everyone,

I'm having trouble testing GNU's Wget2 on DragonFly. Configure is
dying because it looks like pkg-config is not installed. That's no big
deal - I should only need to install pkg-config...

I cannot find the name of the pkg-config package:

$ command -v pkg-config
$

$ sudo find /usr -name pkg-config
$

But the man pages says it exists (or implies it exists somewhere?):

$ man -k pkg-config
pkg-config, pkg config(8) - retrieve the value of a given configuration option

Try to install it:

$ sudo /usr/local/sbin/pkg install pkg-config
Updating Avalon repository catalogue...
Avalon repository is up to date.
All repositories are up to date.
pkg: No packages available to install matching 'pkg-config' have been
found in the repositories

$ sudo /usr/local/sbin/pkg install pkgconfig
Updating Avalon repository catalogue...
Avalon repository is up to date.
All repositories are up to date.
pkg: No packages available to install matching 'pkgconfig' have been
found in the repositories

I don't know what name DragonFly uses for pkg-config. Searching is
turning up irrelevant noise.

What is the name of the pkg-config package?

Thanks in advance.