OT: third party relay attack

Steffen Nurpmeso steffen at sdaoden.eu
Fri Jan 10 10:54:20 PST 2020

Matthew Dillon wrote in <CAOZ7CpDD4ime3X-SP-_CF8R7Hr+A3-mejsiSsG3HBT1-Xa\
pVPA at mail.gmail.com>:
 |There isn't a whole lot that can be done short of white-listing only \
 |allowed originators and recipients.  Most anti-spam services filter \
 |out critical non-spam emails along with the spam.
 |
 |What I do for my personal domain is actually forward all my mail, spam \
 |and all, to my gmail account and let Google's spam filters deal with \
 |it (to the tune of hundreds of spams a day).   And for
 |DragonFlyBSD's domain... we've mostly not using it for email beyond \
 |the mailing list server and the mailing list server is essentially \
 |white-listed based on the subscriptions.

That is smart.  Compare this with Wikipedia which blocks entire IP
ranges, and unfortunately my dial-up (Vodafone Wifi in a pretty
crowded, for European standards, place) is one of those.  They did
not even allow you to log in (some years ago).
Immense amount of spam you have.  I only use the mentioned plus
a local bogofilter instance that learns for some years, and i (do
not want to knock on wood) have around one or two dozen each day,
of which less than a handful is not auto-detected, but most of
those are "maybe", so.
Back to the island.

--steffen